128-bit Encryption Update News
As of November 29, 1998, our web site has been protected by 128-bit SSL technology. This move was made in order to
protect your privacy online, as well as to protect the privacy of any subjects whose information we may search on
and distribute. In order to make this change as easy as possible on our customers, we have created this news page
containing information on the following:
- Checking to see whether or not a browser upgrade is required (Step 1)
- Upgrading your browser to support the high 128-bit encryption if necessary (Step 2)
- Links to the appropriate upgrade site for your browser (Step 3)
If you are using Internet Explorer, the upgrade to 128-bit security is a free download from Microsoft.
First we need to determine whether or not a browser upgrade is required. You may check to see if your
browser is capable of handling 128-bit encryption by clicking the link below this paragraph. However,
please read this section entirely before clicking on this link.
If you can see the "Congratulations" page, then your browser is already configured to use 128-bit
encryption and you do not need to upgrade.
If you receive one of the following messages:
- "Network Error: Socket was already connected."
- "Error Occurred in Secure Channel Support."
- "Netscape and this server cannot communicate securely because they have no common encryption algorithm."
- "Cannot connect due to an uncommon encryption error."
- "An error occurred in secure channel support."
- "Error in encryption channel."
- "Server and browser do not share common encryption method."
- "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site https://www.ctcfs.com/securetest/. Cannot connect to the server."
- "Server not available."
Then you do not have 128-bit security installed. Proceed to step two.
If your browser cannot handle 128-bit encryption, you must download an upgrade or full instalation version of your
browser that supports the "Strong" 128-bit encryption. Coast to Coast Financial Services recommends
that you use Internet Explorer 4.0 or greater, but also supports Netscape Navigator.
To upgrade your browser to 128-bit encryption:
For Microsoft Internet Explorer Users:
- Click here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/128bit/default.asp) to get to
Microsoft's Internet Explorer download page.
- Choose your operating system
- Click on "Extra Security 128-bit Browser"
- Select your Operating System (Windows 95 & NT 4.0, etc.)
- If you are already using IE 4.0, you may download just the 128-bit upgrade which will take only 2 or 3
minutes. Or a full Internet Explorer 4.01 for Windows 95 will take 55 minutes to download over a 28.8
modem. At the bottom of the page, click "start downloading"
- Click the "Next" buttons on the following pages which verify your location.
- Read and fill out the "Export Notice and Acknowledgement" form. Click on the button
"I Understand and Acknowledge this Export Notice"
- Click on the "Next" button to start the download.
- You may opt to "Run this [installation] program from its current location" which you may find
more convenient. Or you may save the program to disk (remember the location!) and run it from there later.
- Running the install simply asks if you want to "Install the Security Patch", which you do.
For Netscape Navigator Users:
- Click here
(http://home.netscape.com/download/selectplatform_1_41.html) to get to Netscape's download page.
- Select your operating system from the list (Windows 3.1, Windows 95 or NT, etc.)
- Select your desired language.
- Select the Product Version (4.05)
- Check the box "Download strong U.S./Canada-only encryption"
- At the bottom of the page under "Begin Downloading" click "Download for Free"
- Read and fill out the "Export Notice and Acknowledgement" form
- Follow the Netscape Download/Installation instructions
For "AOL" Users:
- Enter keyword "Internet" -- On right side of Internet screen, Click on "Internet Extras"
- Click on "Internet Software"
- Click on "Get Netscape Navigator for AOL! Click Here!"
- On next screen, select "Download Netscape" from list (double-click)
- Click on button on lower-right "128 bit SSL"
- Read Export Restrictions then click on "Accept"
- Follow download/installation instructions
If you are having problems upgrading your browser and require assistance, please call us.